Safe Management Group acknowledges and understands that working with the elderly population can bring with it several challenges that accompany the many rewards. This is particularly true when working with individuals who suffer from cognitive decline, such a dementia. Often frustration, confusion and diminished coping skills can lead to responsive behaviours that can put caregivers, clients and others at risk of physical and emotional harm. Understanding the cause of these behaviours, thereby increasing empathy and compassion, is key to effectively managing potentially harmful interactions and incidents.
Recognized by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services and endorsed by Public Service Health and Safety Association, and Workplace Safety Prevention Services. Safe Management Group’s Crisis Intervention Training Programs are designed to meet the individual training needs within your organization. Participants who successfully complete this course will receive a certificate of completion. Our programs are customized to address various levels of risk and diverse population groups. Developed by a team of psychologists, behaviour analysts/therapists and physical intervention specialists, Safe Management Group’s Crisis Intervention Training program uses evidence-based practices and techniques that are specifically designed for use with elderly patients and clients. At Safe Management Group we strive to be leaders in transforming peoples’ lives on their path to learning. We accomplish this by providing high quality training and consultation with care and respect.
Our program is divided into two main areas:
- Risk Management: focuses on various levels of risk; client, staff, visitor, system and the environment. Responsive behaviours and what precipitates these responses are examined. Participants will be taught how to mitigate these risks with the over-arching goal to increase safety by preventing situations that may lead to crises.
- Relationship Management: recognizing that most crises occur as a result of the quality of relationships with others. Our program teaches seven principles of Relationship Management with associated strategies and techniques. These principles help create and sustain nurturing and supportive relationships with individuals. They can also be used, in the moment, to de-escalate potentially violent situations.
- Behaviour Management: This section focuses on Functions of Behaviour, or why individuals do what they do. Participants will work through a series of questions that will assist them in understanding behaviour. Participants will be able to identify triggers and early warning signs of escalation. The final aspect of this section will teach the importance of establishing thorough and concrete care plans, including strategies and interventions to prevent and manage at-risk behaviour.
- Aggression Management: This section of the program describes how to assess the development of an aggressive situation in terms of four phases and how to incorporate these findings into an understandable “escalation continuum” for both client behaviour and staff response. How to integrate effective care plans into a concrete escalation continuum is also addressed. This section recognizes that not all individuals escalate in the same manner and that responses must be tailored appropriately. The importance of and the elements of effective intervention teams are also highlighted. Communication between all levels of staff including debriefing are strongly emphasized.
- Physical Intervention Concepts: This section teaches participants about Safe Management Group’s approach regarding physical interventions. Bio-mechanical technology is integrated to ensure safe, effective, least intrusive physical interventions, with no pain, pressure points, or hyperextensions.
- Physical Intervention Techniques: This section teaches staff basic movement, blocks, releases, containments and specialized techniques. Self-protection skills and physical interventions are designed with safety for the elderly client/patient while also recognizing the need for caregivers to be effectively protected from harm.
- Our Trainers/Consultants are certified to teach the application of Pinels should their use become necessary to maintain safety.
A certificate will be issued upon successful completion.