Children Training Programs
Crisis Intervention Training Program – Children (Children in Education, Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders; Children with Complex Needs)
This program is offered either online or in a classroom setting, or a combination of both. The course is available as a 1-day or 2-day instructor led training or a 5-day Train-the-Trainer model.
Recognized by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services and endorsed by Public Service Health and Safety Association, and Workplace Safety Prevention Services. Safe Management Group’s Crisis Intervention Training Programs are designed to meet the individual training needs within your educational and/or children’s service organization. Developed by a team of psychologists, behaviour analysts/therapists and physical intervention specialists, Safe Management Group’s Crisis Intervention Training program uses evidence-based practices and techniques that are customized to address the unique behaviour and safety risks associated with working with children. Participants who successfully complete this course will receive a certificate of completion. At Safe Management Group we strive to be leaders in transforming peoples’ lives on their path to learning. We accomplish this by providing high quality training and consultation with care and respect.
All children’s service agencies that receive funding from the MCCSS must train their staff on the prevention and use of physical restraint. Safe Management’s Crisis Intervention Program meets the requirements of Ontario Regulation 299/10 and the Policy Directives for Service Agencies.
Our program is divided into two main areas:
- Risk Management: focuses on various levels of risk; child, staff, guardian(s)and environment. Participants will be taught how to mitigate these risks with the over-arching goal to increase safety by preventing situations that may lead to crises.
- Relationship Management: recognizing that most crises occur as a result of the quality of relationships with others. Our program teaches seven principles of Relationship Management with associated strategies and techniques. These principles help create and sustain nurturing and supportive relationships with individuals. They can also be used, in the moment, to de-escalate aggressive situations.
- Behaviour Management: This section focuses on Functions of Behaviour, or why individuals do what they do. Participants will work through a series of questions that will assist them in understanding behaviour. Participants will be able to identify triggers and early warning signs of escalation. The final aspect of this section will teach the importance of establishing thorough and concrete behaviour support plans, including strategies and interventions to prevent and manage at risk behaviour.
- Aggression Management: This section of the program describes how to assess the development of an aggressive situation in terms of four phases and how to incorporate these findings into an understandable “escalation continuum” for both child behaviour and staff response. How to integrate effective behaviour support plans into a concrete escalation continuum is also addressed. This section recognizes that not all children escalate in the same manner and that responses must be tailored appropriately. The elements of effective team communication and functioning to respond appropriately to crises are also highlighted. Debriefing staff and children, following crisis episodes, is also are strongly emphasized.
- Physical Intervention Concepts: This section teaches participants about Safe Management’s best practices regarding physical interventions. Bio-mechanical technology is integrated to ensure safe, effective, least intrusive physical interventions, with no pain, pressure points, or hyperextensions.
- Physical Intervention Techniques: This section teaches staff basic movement, blocks, releases, containments and specialized techniques that are customized to ensure safety for children.
Workplace Violence and Harassment: TAAT (Taking Assertive Action Training)
This program is offered online, ½-day classroom model and train-the-trainer.
Understanding Challenges in Acquired Brain Injuries or Families Caregivers Coping with Acquired Brain Injury Program (FABIP)
This program is available online and ½-day classroom model.
Safe Passage - Working in the Community
This program is available online.
Medication Training Program
Safe Management Group Inc. is pleased to announce it’s latest online “Medication Program” designed specifically for Front Line Worker and Caregivers”. This program will provide staff with;
- The understanding of ministry regulations and best practice approaches that inform medication administration.
- The importance of the 6 rights of medication administration.
- The know-how to properly store, dispense and dispose of medication.
- How to accurately document medication use and how to report any medication errors or omissions.
It takes 30 minutes to complete and after successful completion of the test, will provide staff with a personalized certificate.